Site hosted by Build your free website today!

free glitter text and family website at

JANUARY 8, 1935 - 4:35 AM In Tupelo, Mississippi, Gladys Presley gives birth to identical twin sons. The first, Jesse Garon, is stillborn. The second, Elvis Aaron, is born alive and healthy. Elvis Presley’s Star sign is Capricorn. 1935 - 1948 Elvis grows up within a poor family, which moves frequently around the Tupelo area. 1945 At ten years old, Elvis sings “Old Shep” in a youth talent contest at the Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show, held in Tupelo. The talent show is broadcast over WELO Radio. 1946 Elvis’s parents, unable to buy a bicycle that Elvis wants, talk him into accepting a guitar instead: purchased for $12.95 at the Tupelo Hardware Company. LATE 1948 Elvis plays his guitar and sings “Leaf on a Tree” for his Milam Junior High class in Tupelo. Elvis and his parents move to Memphis, Tennessee. 1948-1953 Elvis and his parents live in public housing or low rent homes in the poor neighborhoods of north Memphis. While attending The Christine School and Humes High School, Elvis works at various jobs to help support himself and his parents. He spends much time on Beale Street and frequents the all-night white, and black, gospel sings that are held downtown. JUNE 3, 1953 Elvis graduates from Humes High School. 1953 After graduation, Elvis works at Parker Machinists Shop. That summer, at The Memphis Recording Service-home of the Sun label-he makes a demo acetate of “My Happiness” and “That’s When Your Heartaches Begin” for a cost of about $4.00 and gives it to his mother as belated birthday present. Later, he works at Precision Tool Company, then changes jobs again, going to work for Crown Electric Company where he drives a delivery truck. He attends night school to be an electrician. JANUARY, 1954 Elvis makes another demo acetate at Memphis Recording Service: the songs are “Casual Love Affair” and “I’ll Never Stand in Your Way”. Sam Phillips, the owner, takes an interest in Elvis. SUMMER 1954 Sam Phillips calls Elvis into the studio to sing “Without You” but feels the boy doesn’t do a very good job. But Phillips is impressed enough to team Elvis with local musicians Scotty Moore (guitar) and Bill Black (bass) to see if they, together, could come up with something worthwhile. In frustration, during a July 5 recording session, Elvis and the group perform a speeded up version of “That’s All Right”. This song, and the flipside “Blue Moon of Kentucky,” would be the first of five singles Elvis would release on the Sun label. Elvis, Scotty, and Bill start performing together, with Scotty acting as the group’s manager. Elvis continues to work at Crown Electric as the group starts to play small clubs. Elvis makes an appearance on the Grand Ole Opry and is told by one of the officials that he should stick to truck driving. LATE 1954 - 1955 Elvis, Scotty, and Bill continue to record and to travel. They appear for the first time on the “Louisiana Hayride”, a live Saturday night country music radio which is the Grand Ole Opry’s chief competitor. This leads to regular appearances on the “Hayride” and, in November, Elvis signs a one-year contract for fifty-two Saturday night appearances. During this period, he meets “Colonel” Tom Parker, a promoter and manager connected with various acts. Elvis signs a contract with Bob Neal, who becomes his manager. 1955 Elvis, Scotty, and Bill continue touring on their own and in packaged tours of artists from the “Hayride” with Colonel Parker involved.Drummer D.J. Fontana joins Elvis’s band. In the spring, Elvis fails to be accepted on “Arthur Godfrey’s Talent Scouts”, a network television show. Nevertheless, Elvis gains in popularitimeline. ty and begins to receive national attention, leading Parker to become more directly involved in Elvis’s career. AUGUST 15, 1955 Elvis signs a management contract with Hank Snow Attractions, which is owned equally by Snow and Colonel Parker - who will be Elvis’s manager from this time on and Hank Snow ceases to be involved. NOVEMBER 20, 1955 Parker negotiates the sale of Elvis’s Sun contract to RCA (including Elvis’s five Sun singles and his unreleased Sun material) for $40,000, with a $5,000 bonus for Elvis. RCA soon re-releases the five Sun singles on the RCA label. At the same time Elvis signs a contract with Hill and Range Publishing Company, which creates Elvis Presley Music, Inc. As of late 1955, Elvis is without doubt the hottest new star in the music business. JANUARY 10, 1956 Elvis has his first recording session for RCA in their Nashville studio. Among the songs is “Heartbreak Hotel”. During these sessions, the Jordanaires join with Elvis soon begin touring with him. JANUARY 27, 1956 “Heartbreak Hotel” is released by RCA and sells over 100,000 copies a week for the first three weeks, climbs to number one on Billboard’s pop singles chart for eight weeks, number one on the country chart, and number five on the R&B chart. It becomes Elvis’s first gold record. JANUARY 28, 1956 Elvis appears on Jackie Gleason’s “Stage Show”, starring Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey on CBS. This is Elvis’s first network television appearance. He appears on six weekly “Stage Shows” in a row while continuing the “Louisiana Hayride” appearances. FEBRUARY, 1956 While “Heartbreak Hotel” is still climbing the charts, RCA releases “Mystery Train” and “I Forgot to Remember to Forget” - the last recording on the Sun label. This release immediately hits number one on Billboard’s country singles chart. MARCH 13, 1956 RCA releases Elvis’ first album which quickly turned gold. APRIL 1, 1956 Elvis screen tests at Paramount Studios for a role in “The Rainmaker.” He was not cast in the film. APRIL 3, 1956 Elvis appears on “The Milton Berle Show”. APRIL 6, 1956 Hal B. Wallis and Paramount Pictures sign Elvis for a seven-year contract. APRIL 23 - MAY 9, 1956 Elvis receives a tepid response from audiences at the Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas during a two-week engagement. But his numerous public performances and record sales establish him as a sensation. JUNE 5, 1956 Elvis appears again on “The Milton Berle Show” and performs “Hound Dog.” His onstage movements are condemned by certain factions of the conservative establishment. JULY 1, 1956 Elvis appears on “The Steve Allen Show” on NBC and performs a more conservative version of “Hound Dog” - dressed in white tie and black tux with tails. The popularity of Elvis forces Ed Sullivan to change his mind about refusing airtime for the singer, and signs him to a three-appearance deal. AUGUST 1956 Paramount loans Elvis to Twentieth Century Fox to play a featured role in a western called “The Reno Brothers.” It is retitled “Love Me Tender” after the song Elvis performs for the soundtrack’s single. SEPTEMBER 9, 1956 Elvis makes the first of his three appearances on Ed Sullivan’s “Toast of the Town Show” and attracts the highest ratings ever for a variety show. SEPTEMBER 26, 1956 “Elvis Presley Day” is proclaimed in Tupelo, Mississippi. Elvis’s parents join him as he returns to the town of his birth as a big star. He performs two shows that day at the Mississippi- Alabama Fair and Dairy Show- the same fair at which he had performed at age 10. Elvis souvenir merchandising begins to hit the store shelves. By the end of the year, this merchandise will reach $22 million in sales. OCTOBER 28, 1956 Elvis makes his second of three appearances on the Sullivan show. NOVEMBER 16, 1956 “Love Me Tender” opens on this date and becomes a hit. JANUARY 6, 1957 Elvis makes his third and final appearance on Ed Sullivan’s “Toast of the Town Show.” Although uncensored for his two previous performances, during this show Elvis is seen by the viewing audience only from the waist up.

Tupelo Hardware Store

JANUARY, 1957 Elvis begins production of his second movie, “Loving You”. MARCH 1957 Elvis buys Graceland Mansion for himself, his parents, and his paternal grandmother to live in. APRIL 2-3 , 1957 For the first time, Elvis performs outside the United States: in Toronto and Ottawa. MAY, 1957 Elvis is loaned to MGM to make his third film: “Jailhouse Rock.” JULY 9, 1957 Elvis’s second motion picture, “Loving You” opens and reaches the top ten at the box office. The soundtrack single featuring the title song and “Teddy Bear” is released. AUGUST 31, 1957 Elvis performs in Vancouver - the last time he would perform in concert outside the United States. SEPTEMBER 27, 1957 Elvis returns to Tupelo to perform at a benefit for the proposed Elvis Presley Youth Recreation Center -he would donate regularly to the center for the rest of his life. OCTOBER 17, 1957 Elvis’s third motion picture “Jailhouse Rock” premieres in Memphis and opens nationally the following month. NOVEMBER 10, 11 1957 For the first time, Elvis visits and performs shows in Hawaii. DECEMBER, 1957 Elvis receives his draft notice. LATE JANUARY - EARLYMARCH, 1958 Elvis films and records the soundtrack album for his fourth motion picture “King Creole”. MARCH 15, 1958 In Memphis, Elvis performs his last stage performances until after his army release in 1960. His tour of duty takes him out of the spotlight for nearly two years - and many music critics consider Elvis’ induction to be the end of his career. MARCH 24, 1958 Elvis Presley is inducted into the U.S. Army at the Memphis Draft Board. MARCH 25, 1958 Elvis gets his G.I. haircut at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas. MARCH 29, 1958 Private Presley arrives at Fort Hood, Texas for six month’s basic training. His parents move to a temporary home near the base. JUNE 10, 1958 After basic training, Elvis has a recording session while on leave. JULY, 1958 “King Creole”, Elvis’s fourth motion picture opens nationally. It is regarded generally as his best serious film. AUGUST, 1958 Gladys Presley becomes ill and is hospitalized with acute hepatitis. Elvis is granted emergency leave and arrives in Memphis on the afternoon of August 12th. She dies in the early hours of August 14 . She was only 46. She is laid to rest at Forest Hill Cemetery, a few miles down the road from Graceland. AUGUST 25, 1958 Elvis reports back to Fort Hood. SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 1958 Elvis sails aboard the USS Randall to West Germany, arriving on October 1. He will be stationed in Friedberg for 18 months, maintaining an off-base residence in Bad Nauheim. JANUARY 8, 1959 For his 24th birthday, Elvis is interviewed on the telephone by Dick Clark on his “American Bandstand” show on ABC-TV. JUNE, 1959 On a two-week leave, Elvis visits Munich and Paris. Despite what the critics say, Elvis’ career is kept alive by the careful promotions and record releases of Colonel Parker. NOVEMBER 1959 Captain Joseph Beaulieu is transferred from Texas to Weisbaden Air Force Base near Friedberg, accompanied by his wife and children, including his fourteen-and-a-half- year-old stepdaughter, Priscilla Ann. Through a mutual friend, Priscilla is invited to a party at Elvis’s home.

Elvis High School

JANUARY 20, 1960 Elvis is promoted to Sergeant MARCH 1960 Elvis leaves West Germany on March 1, and is officially discharged from active duty on March 5, 1960. On March 8, he holds a press conference at Graceland. LATEMARCH, 1960 Elvis has his first recording session since being released from the service. On March 26 he tapes a special “Welcome Home, Elvis” version of Frank Sinatra’s ABC-TV variety show. LATE APRIL, 1960 Elvis begins filming and recording for his fifth film, appropriately titled “GI Blues.” Produced for Paramount by Hal Wallis, Elvis’ costar is Juliet Prowse. JULY 3, 1960 Vernon Presley marries divorcee and mother of three sons, Davada “Dee” Stanley, an American whom he had met in West Germany. AUGUST/SEPTEMBER 1960 Elvis records and films for his sixth movie, “Flaming Star”. OCTOBER, 1960 The soundtrack album for “GI Blues” hits Billboard’s album chart and climbs to number one where it will stay for ten weeks. NOVEMBER 1960 Elvis begins recording and filming for his seventh film, “Wild in the Country” as “GI Blues” opens nationally. LATE DECEMBER, 1960 “Flaming Star” opens and receives good reviews but not solid box office returns. It is assumed that because the film is dramatic and contains little music, Elvis fans did not show up in droves. FEBRUARY 25, 1961 Elvis first live appearance since his army discharge is at a Memphis luncheon in his honor. “Elvis Presley Day” is proclaimed by Tennessee Governor Buford Ellington. MARCH 25, 1961 In Hawaii, Elvis performs in a benefit to help fund the building of the USS Arizona Memorial. LATEMARCH/MID- APRIL, 1961 Elvis remains in Hawaii to do location filming for “Blue Hawaii” A project for which he has already recorded the soundtrack. JUNE, 1961 “Wild in the Country” opens to mixed reviews. JULY, 1961 Elvis begins production on “Follow that Dream” and also records the soundtrack album. This is his ninth motion picture, scheduled to open in late Spring 1962. OCTOBER, 1961 The soundtrack album for “Blue Hawaii” hits the Billboard chart and remains for 18 months (it will be number one for nearly half a year). The album features the classic Elvis single: “Can’t Help Falling in Love”. OCTOBER/NOVEMBER, 1961 Elvis begins filming “Kid Galahad” and also records the soundtrack album. The picture wraps in January of 62. “Blue Hawaii” opens at number two in box office receipts and eventually becomes Elvis’s most financially successful film. His single “Good Luck Charm” hits number one on the pop charts. SPRING 1962 Elvis begins filming his 11th motion picture, “Girls! Girls! Girls!”. It includes location work in Hawaii and Los Angeles. He also records the soundtrack album. “Follow That Dream” opens nationally, reaches number five in box office. SUMMER 1962 Continuing his breakneck schedule, Elvis begins his 12th motion picture and soundtrack album: “It Happened at the World’s Fair,” which utilizes the backdrop of the Seattle World’s Fair. Also this summer, “Kid Galahad” opens. Although not a hit, and some critics suggested that Elvis was losing his appeal, receipts are respectable. Priscilla Beaulieu arrives from West Germany to visit Elvis. OCTOBER 1962 A riot breaks out in a Mexico screening of “GI Blues” resulting in a ban on Elvis movies in that country. NOVEMBER 1962 While “Kid Galahad” was only a so-so success, “Girls! Girls! Girls!” opens this month and eventually equals “Blue Hawaii” in box office receipts. The soundtrack album features the hit single “Return to Sender”. DECEMBER 1962 Priscilla Beaulieu’s parents give permission for her to visit Elvis during the Christmas holidays. JANUARY/FEBRUARY 1963 Priscilla moves in at Graceland and finishes her senior year of high school in Memphis. Elvis begins filming and recording the soundtrack for his 13th motion picture: “Fun in Acapulco”. APRIL 1963 “It Happened at the World’s Fair” opens to respectable box office receipts – the soundtrack album does better, reaching number five on the charts. MAY 24, 1963 Priscilla turns 18. JULY 1963 This month Elvis begins recording the soundtrack and filming the location work for “Viva Las Vegas,” featuring a hot new female star: Ann-Margaret. Although this is his 14th motion picture, it would not be released until after his next film. OCTOBER 1963 During this month, Elvis begins recording the soundtrack and filming his 15th motion picture: “Kissin’ Cousins”. NOVEMBER 1963 “Fun in Acapulco” opens late this month and performs much better at the box office than “World’s Fair,” eventually reaching number five. The album also reaches number five on the pop chart. WINTER 1964 A pivotal season in Elvis’s (and the nation’s) musical world: the Beatles make their first appearance on the “Ed Sullivan Show”. Elvis fears his career has become stagnant. Also during this winter, Elvis buys the yacht of President Franklin Roosevelt: the “Potomac.” In February, he gives the yacht to Danny Thomas as a gift to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis for them to use to raise funds as they see fit. MARCH 1964 “Kissin’ Cousins” opens and is instantly recognized as one of Elvis’s worst films — both critically and financially. Despite this, he begins his 16th film: “Roustabout.” JUNE 1964 Elvis begins recording the soundtrack for his 17th film, “Girl Happy,” as “Viva Las Vegas” opens nationally. Receipts for this picture are far better, and the soundtrack album does as well. SUMMER 1964 Elvis films “Girl Happy” on location in Florida. OCTOBER 1964 In a cost-cutting move, Paramount creates a motion picture project (Elvis’s 18th) based around songs the star had already recorded. Entitled “Tickle Me”, the project has failure written all over it. Despite bad feelings about this film, Elvis jumps into an even busier production schedule NOVEMBER 1964 This month “Roustabout” opens to solid box office receipts, eventually hitting number eight. The soundtrack features some of the best music Elvis has done to date — and fans respond by making it a number one hit on Billboard’s pop album chart. SPRING 1965 In a flurry of activity, Elvis records the soundtrack and films his 19th film: “Harum Scarum” as “Girl Happy” opens – both film and soundtrack album do respectable business. Immediately after he wraps on “Harum Scarum,” Elvis begins his 20th film project entitled “Frankie and Johnny”. However, this will not be released until after the next project: “Paradise, Hawaiian Style.” JULY 1965 In this month, “Tickle Me” opens nationally to ho-hum box office, and Elvis donates $50,000 to the Motion Picture Relief Fund. AUGUST 1965 Elvis quickly records the soundtrack music for his 21st motion picture, “Paradise, Hawaiian Style”, and then leaves for location shooting in Hawaii. He then returns to Los Angeles to complete interior shooting on the film. AUGUST 27, 1965 The Beatles visit with Elvis for several hours at his home in California and have an informal jam session. NOVEMBER 24, 1965 “Harum Scarum” opens nationally and does only respectable business at the box office. The soundtrack reaches number eight before it quickly disappears. FEBRUARY 1966 For his 22nd motion picture, Elvis records the soundtrack music and films “Spinout”. MARCH 1966 After delays by the studio,”Frankie and Johnny” opens to lackluster box office and record sales. JUNE 1966 “Paradise, Hawaiian Style” opens and perform almost as poorly as “Frankie and Johnny.” JUNE - OCTOBER 1966 Undaunted, Elvis records the soundtrack album and begins shooting his 23rd motion picture: “Double Trouble” and then proceeds directly to recording and filming his 24th picture: “Easy Come, Easy Go”. NOVEMBER 1966 This month, a favorite time for the studio to open Elvis films, “Spinout” is released and performs poorly, both at the box office and in album sales.

Elvis and Priscilla Young

DECEMBER 1966 On a date this month that is still debated, Elvis formally – and officially – proposes marriage to Priscilla. FEBRUARY 1967 Elvis buys a ranch in Mississippi, a short distance across the Tennessee state line from Graceland. Called the Circle G, the ranch was bought expressly to take care of the horse he purchases for Priscilla, and the other horses he and his friends buy as they all become enamored of horseback riding. MARCH 1967 The film “Easy Come, Easy Go” opens and flounders. This disappointment is offset by the release of Elvis’s second gospel album, “How Great Thou Art”. The album gets excellent reviews, healthy sales, and earns Elvis his first Grammy Award, ironically enough, for Best Sacred Performance. FEBRUARY 1967 Elvis begins the soundtrack recording and location filming for his 25th motion picture: “Clambake”. SPRING 1967 “Double Trouble” opens and flounders. On May 1, 1967 (at 9:30 am) Elvis and Priscilla are married at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas, followed by a honeymoon in Palm Springs. On May 29th, they hold a second reception at Graceland for friends and family unable to be at the Las Vegas ceremony. SUMMER 1967 Despite poor performance of his films at the box office, and his own personal doubts about the projects he is starring in, Elvis records the soundtrack and begins filming his 26th movie, costarring with Nancy Sinatra in “Speedway”. News of Priscilla’s pregnancy is released. FALL 1967 Elvis immediately begins work on his 26th film, a project he feels more confidence in. He records and does location filming for “Stay Away, Joe”. In this comedy-western, Elvis plays a halfbreed Native American, surrounded by veteran character actors who help raise the performance levels in the picture. DECEMBER 1967 Hoping for better holiday box office, “Clambake” is released and does only respectable business as both a film and soundtrack album. FEBRUARY 1, 1968 Priscilla gives birth to Lisa Marie Presley. MARCH 1968 “Stay Away, Joe” opens but receives mixed reviews and performs poorly at the box office. In an effort to find more suitable projects for Elvis, the studio has him begin work on his 28th film, an adult comedy-drama called “Live a Little, Love a Little”. JUNE 1968 For summer release, “Speedway” opens and doesn’t perform, either as a film or a soundtrack. As the nation’s tastes change during this turbulent period, the formula films cranked out by the studios perform poorly for all stars. In particular, Elvis is hurt by the scathing reviews and the title “has-been.” JUNE 27 - 30, 1968 Elvis rehearses for the taping of his 1968 television special — his first performance before a live audience since March 1961. This production has been called the 68 Comeback Special. The show features original songs, classic Elvis tunes, dance numbers, and special segments of Elvis performing in the round and in front of a live audience with guitarist Scotty Moore and drummer D.J. Fontana. The show is scheduled to air on December 3rd. SUMMER 1968 The studio tries something different, once again, for Elvis’s 29th movie. Entitled “Charro” the dramatic western features an Elvis who doesn’t sing (except the opening song) and who wears a beard. FALL 1968 Elvis immediately begins work on his 30th film, recording the soundtrack and acting in “The Trouble with Girls”.”Live a Little, Love a Little” opens to poor receipts. But the single, “If I Can Dream”, from the comeback special reaches number 12 on the pop singles chart. DECEMBER 3, 1968 The 1968 television special airs on the NBC network this evening. It is not only a ratings winner, but a critical success and with a soundtrack album that reaches number eight on the pop charts. DECEMBER 1968 Elvis completes his shooting on “The Trouble with Girls”. JANUARY/FEBRUARY 1969 Elvis throws himself into all-night recording sessions at American Sound Studios in Memphis – his first recording work in Memphis since 1955. These sessions produce what is considered some of his finest work, and produce two albums with hit singles like “In the Ghetto”, “Suspicious Minds”, “Don’t Cry, Daddy” and “Kentucky Rain”. MARCH/APRIL 1969 Elvis returns to Hollywood to film and record the soundtrack music for his 31st and last dramatic film: “Change of Habit”. Elvis plays a doctor serving the poor in a Northern city, assisting by three nuns, one of whom is Mary Tyler Moore. MARCH, 1969 “Charro!” opens fizzles at the box office. JULY 31 - AUGUST 28, 1969 The newly built International Hotel in Las Vegas featured the largest showroom on the strip and they wanted a big star to headline after Barbra Streisand closed. They booked Elvis for a four-week engagement which ends up breaking the city’s attendance records. It is so successful, RCA jumps at the chance of recording Elvis’s first live concert album. SEPTEMBER 1969 The studio holds its breath, releases “The Trouble with Girls” and then watches as the money fails to roll in. NOVEMBER 1969 “Change of Habit” opens. Ditto. The rumor that Elvis has lost his audience start circulating. WINTER 1970 Talk of Elvis’s loss of popularity are silenced by the king him self. He decides to return to the International Hotel during the slowest part of the season, where he promptly breaks his own attendance records and records another live concert album. In February, Elvis performs six shows at the Houston Astrodome (as part of the Texas Livestock Show). He attracts over 200,000 people. SUMMER 1970 Elvis has recording sessions in Nashville and then, on August 10 through September 7, performs at the International Hotel in Las Vegas. MGM — at this point still in the motion picture business — films the performances as part of a documentary film: “Elvis -That’s the Way It Is.” The film also features backstage footage, as well as rehearsals and recording sessions. There is an album released by the same title. SEPTEMBER 1970 Rumors that Elvis might actually tour again become true, as he conducts a nine city tour of the show he has perfected during the Vegas runs. He returns to Nashville for another recording session. NOVEMBER 1970 Ironically, it is the documentary film “That’s the Way It Is” (which opens this month) which receives the best reviews and box office response of any of Elvis’s most recent dramatic films. Inspired by his recent successes, Elvis goes out on a highly successful eight-city concert tour. DECEMBER 1970 This month, Richard Nixon receives Elvis at the White House. JANUARY 16, 1971 The United States Junior Chamber of Commerce names Elvis “One of the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation” and presents him with the award tonight. FEBRUARY - MARCH 1971 Elvis returns again to the International Hotel in Las Vegas for a four week engagement, quickly followed by another recording session in Nashville. However, Elvis cancels this session because of pain in his eye. He goes to the local hospital and discovers that he suffers from secondary glaucoma which will cause him problems from now on. MAY 1971 Promoting the first serious biography of Elvis, Look Magazine features the “king of rock and roll” on their cover. Elvis returns to the studio to record his album “Elvis Sings the Wonderful World of Christmas”. SUMMER 1971 For the first time, the small house where Elvis was born opens to the public for tours, but Elvis is busy in the studio preparing a new gospel album. Meanwhile, the portion of Highway 51 South which runs by Graceland is officially renamed Elvis Presley Boulevard. Next, Elvis plays a two-week engagement at the Sahara Hotel in Lake Tahoe, Nevada followed in August with a wildly successful concert series at the International Hotel in Las Vegas – now called the Las Vegas Hilton International Hotel. During this series, Elvis is presented with the Bing Crosby Award from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences – later to be called the Lifetime Achievement Award. OCTOBER 1971 The new book “Elvis : A Biography” by Jerry Hopkins is released. NOVEMBER 5-16, 1971 Elvis embarks on a concert tour to 12 cities in the U.S. DECEMBER 1971 / JANUARY 1972 To the shock of his fans, Elvis and Priscilla separate. She moves out on her own with Lisa Marie. And the first of the new Elvis Presley Boulevard signs go up. JANUARY 26 - FEBRUARY 23, 1972 Elvis returns to the Hilton in Las Vegas for another highly successful four-week run. SPRING 1972 Inspired by the financial success of “That’s the Way It Is,” MGM plans another documentary entitled “Elvis on Tour.” The company films Elvis in the studio and accompanies him on a concert tour of 15 cities. The gospel album “He Touched Me” is released in April to favorable reviews, and wins Elvis his second Grammy Award. JUNE 1972 Elvis continues his tour – with a special four-show stop at Madison Square Garden in New York City. All four shows are sold out. Smelling money, RCA records the first Madison Square Garden performance and, in just over a week, has the album in the record stores. JULY 1972 The separation of Elvis and Priscilla becomes formal this month. Elvis is now seen in the company of Linda Thompson. AUGUST 4 - SEPTEMBER 4, 1972 Elvis returns to the Hilton in Las Vegas. SEPTEMBER 5, 1972 Elvis announces at a Las Vegas press conference that he is planning for a live television concert which will be broadcast worldwide from Hawaii. OCTOBER 1972 The record “Burning Love” marks the return of Elvis to the pop singles chart. NOVEMBER 1972 MGM’s “Elvis on Tour” opens (of course) in November and wins big with critics and audiences. The producers receive the Golden Globe Award for Best Documentary. While the movie about touring opens, Elvis embarks on a seven-city concert tour of his own. JANUARY 14, 1973 “Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii - Via Satellite” airs on NBC, and makes television history. But American viewers won’t see it live. They will have to wait until April for a taped version. The record album is quickly released, reaches number one on the Billboard Pop Album Chart, and remains on the chart for a year. JANUARY 26 - FEBRUARY 23, 1973 Not stopping to catch his breath, Elvis returns to his favorite venue: the Las Vegas Hilton. MARCH 1973 In a surprising move, Elvis and Colonel Parker sell to RCA the singer’s royalty rights on Elvis’s entire recording catalog up to that point. APRIL 4, 1973 The “Aloha” special is seen on American television for the first time. It is estimated that a total of one billion people see the special. SPRING / SUMMER 1973 Once again, Elvis hits the road on an eight-city concert tour, ending with an engagement at the Sahara Hotel in Lake Tahoe. (In May, the “Aloha from Hawaii” concert album hits number one on the Billboard pop album chart.) By the end of June, Elvis is on tour again, returning for a recording session in Memphis. He ends the summer with a four-week engagement at the Vegas Hilton. OCTOBER 9, 1973 Today Elvis and Priscilla have their day in court and they are granted a divorce. OCTOBER 15 - NOVEMBER 1, 1973 In Memphis, Elvis is hospitalized for a wide range of health problems. He has pneumonia, pleurisy, an enlarged colon, and hepatitis. DECEMBER 1973 Remaining in Memphis, Elvis goes into the studio for a week of recording sessions and then rests up for another concert engagement. JANUARY 26 - FEBRUARY 9, 1974 Elvis return to the Vegas Hilton. MARCH 1974 Despite his health problems, and a growing dependency on prescription drugs, Elvis embarks on another ambitious tour schedule. Included in the schedule is a concert in Memphis, his first in over 12 years. He is forced to do four shows just to meet the demand for tickets. The Memphis concerts result in another live album. APRIL 1974 Elvis decides to rest up from his schedule and essentially takes the entire month off. MAY 16 - 26, 1974 Elvis plays the Sahara in Lake Tahoe. SUMMER 1974 Although he stops for a two week breather in July, most of the summer is spent touring and performing at the Las Vegas Hilton. It is while he is at the Hilton, that Elvis is approached by Barbra Streisand with idea of playing opposite her in the remake of “A Star is Born”. FALL 1974 Elvis is out on tour for most of September, and performs at the Sahara in Lake Tahoe for four days. JANUARY 29 - FEBRUARY 14, 1975 Once again, Elvis is hospitalized for the same series of health problems. MARCH - JULY 1975 Elvis’s live recording of “How Great Thou Art” receives the Grammy for Best Inspirational Performance. After four weeks of shows at the Hilton, Elvis embarks on an extensive four month series of concert tours interrupted by brief stops for rest at Graceland. AUGUST 18 - SEPTEMBER 5, 1975 Elvis opens in Vegas with plans for an extended run, but leaves on August 20 for Memphis where he is hospitalized until September 5. NOVEMBER 1975 Elvis returns to Graceland after his hospital stay and, in November, takes ownership of a completely refurbished Convair 880 jet he christens the”Lisa Marie.” DECEMBER 1975 In a gesture to make up for the shows canceled because of illness, Elvis returns to the Hilton in Vegas. Later, on New Year’s Eve, he performs in Pontiac, Michigan. FEBRUARY 1976 Elvis has a week of recording sessions in his den at Graceland, with RCA bringing in mobile recording equipment. MARCH - OCTOBER, 1976 This entire time is taken up by tour engagements. Although the pace is hectic, it is carefully planned out with periodic stops in Graceland to rest up. OCTOBER 29-30, 1976 Elvis holds recording sessions in his den at Graceland. NOVEMBER, 1976 Elvis and Linda Thompson split up — Elvis meets Ginger Alden who will be his companion until his death. DECEMBER, 1976 Elvis goes out on tours once again, including a ten-day stint at the Las Vegas Hilton. It will be the last time he performs at the famous casino-hotel. He ends the month with a special New Year’s Eve concert in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. FEBRUARY - MARCH, 1977 He continues touring throughout these two months. He is scheduled to perform, with only brief rest stops, until late June. APRIL 1-5, 1977 Elvis is hospitalized in Memphis and then returns to Graceland for rest. APRIL 21 - AUGUST 15, 1977 Elvis is back on the road once again. RCA and CBS television decide to create a simultaneous television special / concert album for his tour shows scheduled June 19 - 21 to be called “Elvis in Concert.” The camera, however, is not kind to Elvis and his fans are able to see on television what they could not easily see during a concert: just how poor his health really was. Elvis performs in at Indianapolis’ Market Square Arena on June 26 and then returns to Graceland to plan the next series of concerts. AUGUST 16, 1977 Elvis is up early and spends most of the morning attending to tour details: he plans to fly out of Memphis that night for Portland, Maine so that he can rest up for a performance the night of the 17th. At 7:00 am, Elvis decides to lay down in the master bedroom. He is found dead a short time later.

Elvis Graphics provided by